My main hobby is messing around with computers. This page is an index
Some information about PC hardware can be found at www.thepcguide.com. The information given there is mostly about older PCs (max. PII), but sometimes you just wanna know how to connect the AT power connectors P8 and P9 to you motherboard .
Techniques, tricks etc.
- Using Emacs, a text editor with a many possibilities.
- Evolution is my favourite e-mail and PIM program.
- GnuplotCommands (for plotting and fitting data).
- About GhostView (a PostScript viewer).
- I use InkScape for vector images and posters.
- Working with SecureShell (SSH).
- IDL, the Interactive Data Language, used for plotting, etc.
- LaTeX, a way of making your theses (and, in fact, most other printable stuff, like letters and resume's) look great!
- Programming (C/C++, Fortran, Perl).
- LaTeXBeamer, using LaTeX to make presentations (A similar package is called ProsPeR, but I think the results are somewhat less).
- Analysing network traffic with TcpDump.
Some notes on installing Debian Etch on an SGI O2 machine
Recently I helped a friend to install Debian 4.0 (Etch) on an old SGI O2 MIPS machine. This article lists some notes I made during this process.
- Notes on getting a Tektronix XP217C X-terminal to work with my Linux server
Setting up WebDAV with Apache
This article shows which steps I took to setup a webDAV share on my Apache webserver
Making a Pundit-R into a MythTV frontend with Gentoo
This article lists the steps I took to make Lambik, an Asus Pundit-R into an HTPC with the mythTV software. It's not too fancy, but it'll help me retrace my steps in case of a crash or some other evil.
Some notes on installing openVPN
Some notes on installing openVPN on my server Jerom.